Mar 12, 2020

Open Letter to Pune Bike Riders: Please try and meditate on the virtues of Patience and Tolerance

Puneites are worst of the lot when it comes to impatience and intolerance among drivers. It is said that if you learned to drive a two-wheeler in Pune, driving it in any other part of India should be a piece of cake.



But off late, this has crossed all limits of just being an irritant or nag, and graduating towards the realm of potentially dangerous and disastrous, considering that the number of vehicles in the city is also increasing at a geometrical speed. The bikers are causing a serious problem to car drivers, passers-by and even other bikers too.

As a car-driver, I typically expect other vehicles to overtake from my right, so my eyes are focused on right and back mirrors. Never do I expect a bike rider to suddenly swoop from the left and pass over my car's front-bonnet in break-neck speed. If I'm unable to control my car's speed and hit the rider at that moment, who's fault will it be? The driver of the four-wheeler, of course, considering this is India!

Another common scenario is that I'm riding a bike myself on a high-traffic zone and another bike starts moving dangerously close to my right even as I've given the right-turning indicator. Not only will I miss my right turn, its a very hazardous situation to be in.

Yet another common scenario in Pune is that bike riders even climb over foot-paths or pavements if they run out of space on the main road, and passersby are shoved across to the edges of the road in order to save their lives. What kind of medieval madness is this?

What amount of time do they hope to save by performing life-threatening stunts like these?  Nothing is  more important than the lives of people, your next meeting with the boss can wait for few more minutes, so will your meeting with your family. Please don't become so selfish in life that you cast away basic humanity. Try and meditate upon the virtues of patience and tolerance. Imagine its your own mom or dad who's walking on that foot-path or pavement, how will you feel if another bike rider harasses them? Imagine its your own aged uncle who's driving a car, do you want him to suffer and be stressed?

No comments:

Post a Comment