Oct 14, 2020

Where Jio Mart shines (and Big Basket fails) is when it comes to showing the right choices to Vegetarian users

Big Basket is an established player in the Indian groceries e-commerce market whereas Jio Mart is a new but formidable competitor. Of course, Jio Mart still has a lot of catching up to do with its elder bro in terms of app workflow, payment methods, offers and discounts, etc. but it has one major ace in the game which I think will create a huge difference.

India is a country resided by a large number of vegetarians (and an equally large number of non-vegetarians too!). But due to the nature of how stuff works, a non-veg user won't mind seeing stuff like veggies and fruits in their online shopping catalogs but a vegetarian would certainly mind seeing meat and eggs, especially if it takes a priority over veggies!

 

I'm a vegetarian myself and despite having never shopped for a meat or lamb or chicken, these items always come up when I open the Big Basket app or website. Their algorithm doesn't seem to know yet that I'm a vegetarian for some reason (or alternatively, they don't care about it enough!).

Jio Mart's algorithm, on the other hand, seems to have recognized perfectly well that I'm a vegetarian even though I've shopped very few times on that site!

 

I definitely appreciate this and will prefer Jio Mart over Big Basket for all my groceries shopping unless Big Basket stops showing me the meat adverts. And since I'm just an average Indian techie guy, I'm pretty sure that most others will also do the same!

No comments:

Post a Comment